Seismic Risk consultant
2012 – 2014
Deputy Secretary General
GEM Foundation, Pavia, Italy
2009 – 2014
Scientific Coordinator and Executive Committee Risk Coordinator
GEM Foundation, Pavia, Italy
2010 – 2012
Coordinator, Risk and Emergency Management (REM) Masters Programme
UME School, Pavia, Italy
2009 – today
Affiliated Senior Researcher
European Centre for Training and Research in Earthquake Engineering (EUCENTRE), Pavia, Italy
2007 – 2009
European Centre for Training and Research in Earthquake Engineering (EUCENTRE), Pavia, Italy
2005 – 2006
Centre for Post-graduate Training and Research in Earthquake Engineering and Seismology (ROSE School), Pavia, Italy
2000 – 2001
Whitbybird Consulting Engineers, London
Research projects with a coordinating role:
– SHARE (Seismic Hazard Harmonization for Europe), 18 partners from 13 countries, budget of 3.2M Euro (www.share-eu.org). (Work-package coordinator)
– SYNER-G (Systemic Seismic Vulnerability and Risk Analysis for Buildings, Lifeline Networks and Infrastructures Safety Gain), 14 partners from 11 countries, budget of 3.5M Euro (www.syner-g.eu). (Work-package coordinator)
– NERA (Network of European Research Infrastructures for Earthquake Risk Assessment and Mitigation), 28 partners from 17 countries, budget of 9M Euro (www.nera-eu.org). (Work-package coordinator)
– STREST (Harmonised Approach to Stress Tests for Critical Infrastructures against Natural Hazards), 12 partners from 8 countries, budget of 4M Euro (www.strest-eu.org) (Institution lead)
ATTIVITà DI RICERCA:
– Author/co-author of over 130 publications (39 in peer-reviewed international journals) since 2003 in the field of earthquake engineering, with specific emphasis on seismic risk and loss assessment. H-index of 20 according to Google Scholar (as of January 2015) and 12 according to Scopus (as of April 2014).
– Presentation of research activities at over 20 national and international conferences.
– Coordination of the development of open source seismic risk software (OpenQuake) and of international consortia developing standards and databases for global exposure / vulnerability / consequences data / tools for data capture as part of the Global Earthquake Model.
– Participated in 10+ national research projects, which included various research activities related to developing empirical and analytical fragility and vulnerability models, developing building inventory databases, seismic risk assessment of school buildings, ground motion modelling within loss models, loss modelling for economic losses and fatalities (see publications for more details).
Editorial Board member (2012 -today):
– Earthquake Spectra
Peer reviewer for international journals (2005-today):
-ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering
– Earthquake Spectra
– Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering
– Journal of Earthquake Engineering
– Bulletin of the Seismological Society of America
– Engineering Geology
– Engineering Structures
– Journal of Seismology
– Risk Analysis
– Natural Hazards
– Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics
– Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
– Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences
– Earthquakes and Structures
COMITATI E ALTRI RUOLI TECNICI:
– Member of the Organising Committee of the 100th Anniversary Messina Earthquake Conference, 2008.
– Senior Academic of Willis Research Network (2008-2010)
– Co-organiser of Special Session at 14th European Conference of Earthquake Engineering (2010): Seismic Engineering Input Needs for the Next Generation of Seismic Codes.
– Session co-convener at 2011 Seismological Society of America Annual Meeting: Improving Inventory and Vulnerability Data for Earthquake Loss Modelling.
– Co-organiser of NERA Workshop on European Building Inventory, May 2011, Pavia, Italy (involving over 50 international experts).
– Co-organiser of training workshops on GEM’s software OpenQuake for scientists in Central America (February 2012) and South Africa (July 2012).
– Co-organiser of Special Session at 15th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (September 2012): Global Earthquake Model’s Physical Risk Activities.
– Member of the award committees for the EGU Plinius Medal (2010-2013) and the SSA Frank Press Public Service Award (2010-2013).
– Editorial Board member of the World Housing Encyclopedia (since 2012).
– Member of European Association for Earthquake Engineering (EAEE) and the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute (EERI)
– Invited Keynote Lecturer at the 2nd European Conference on Earthquake Engineering and Seismology, Istanbul, August 2014.
– 2012 Recipient of Shah Family Innovation Prize “in recognition of her important research contributions and her energy, creativity and passion in developing and disseminating more effective practices and policies to reduce earthquake risk around the world.”
– Winner of the European Geosciences Union Plinius Medal 2009 for “outstanding contributions in the fields of earthquake risk assessment and seismic risk mitigation, and in the neighbouring fields of structural engineering and engineering seismology.”
– Secured funding for Erasmus Mundus Masters Programme for over 40 scholarships worth approx.1.5M Euro.
– Secured funding of 1.9M USD (USAID) for a number of GEM-related regional workshops, involving local scientists. So far, workshops have been held in North Africa (Tunisia), South America (Venezuela and Chile), South Africa (Cape Town), and Potsdam (involving scientists from Central Asia).
– Secured funding of 1.0M Euro (Swiss Re) for regional hazard and risk-related activities in South America involving local scientists.
– Set up the Clearinghouse for the Emilia earthquakes (Italy, 2012) in partnership with EERI.
– Lecturer for the course “Seismic Risk and Loss Assessment” of the Masters and Doctoral programme in Earthquake Engineering and the Masters programme in Risk and Emergency Management (REM), Understanding and Managing Extremes (UME) School, Pavia, 2012
– Co-lecturer for the course “Earthquake Loss Estimation” of the Masters (MSc) and Doctoral (PhD) programme in Earthquake Engineering, ROSE School, Pavia, 2009
– Co-lecturer for the course “Basics of Seismology and Seismic Hazard Assessment” of the Masters (MSc) and Doctoral (PhD) programme in Earthquake Engineering, ROSE School, Pavia, 2007
– Lecturer for the course “Vulnerabilità delle strutture in CA con applicazioni agli scenari di danno” of the Master in Progettazione Sismica delle Strutture Sostenibili in Calcestruzzo, of the Scuola di Specializzazione F.lli Pesenti, Dipartimento di Ingegneria Strutturale, Politecnico di Milano, 2009
– Lecturer for the module “Vulnerabilità sismica di edifici ed infrastrutture” of the Masters Programme Diagnostica Urbana e Territoriale at the l’Osservatorio Sismologico di Messina, 2008
– Teaching Assistant “Assessment and Strengthening of RC Structures” of the Masters (MSc) and Doctoral (PhD) programme in Earthquake Engineering, ROSE School, Pavia, 2003
– Supervised or co-supervised the dissertation/thesis of over 30 undergraduate, Masters and PhD students.
1. Crowley, H. and Pinho, R.  “Period-height relationship for existing European reinforced concrete buildings,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 8(Special Issue 1), 93-119.
2. Crowley, H., Pinho, R. and Bommer, J.J.  “A probabilistic displacement-based vulnerability assessment procedure for earthquake loss estimation,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, 2(2), 173-219.
3. Crowley, H., Bommer, J.J., Pinho R. and Bird, J.  “The impact of epistemic uncertainty on an earthquake loss model,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 34(14), 1653-1685.
4. Bird, J., Crowley, H., Pinho, R. and Bommer, J.J.  “Assessment of building response to liquefaction-induced differential ground deformation,” Bulletin of the New Zealand Society of Earthquake Engineers, 38(4), 215-234.
5. Bird, J., Bommer, J.J., Crowley, H. and Pinho, R.  “Modelling liquefaction-induced building damage in earthquake loss estimation,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, 26(1), 15-30.
6. Bommer, J.J. and Crowley, H.  “The influence of ground motion variability in earthquake loss modelling,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, 4(3), 231-248.
7. Crowley, H. and Bommer, J.J.  “Modelling seismic hazard in earthquake loss models with spatially distributed exposure,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, 4(3), 249-273.
8. Calvi, G.M., Pinho, R., Magenes, G., Bommer, J.J., Restrepo-Vélez, L.F. and Crowley, H.  “The development of seismic vulnerability assessment methodologies over the past 30 years,” ISET Journal of Earthquake Technology, 43(3), Paper No. 472, pp. 75-104.
9. Gavridou, S. Pinho, R., Crowley, H., Calvi, G.M., Montaldo, V., Meletti C., Stucchi, M.  “Preliminary study on the impact of the introduction of an updated seismic hazard model for Italy,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 11, Special Issue 1, pp. 89-118.
10. Crowley, H., Pinho, R.  “Using Basic Principles of Mechanics of Materials to Assess the Seismic Risk of Entire Countries,” Environmental Semeiotics, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 1-19.
11. Borzi, B., Pinho, R. and Crowley, H.  “Simplified pushover-based vulnerability analysis for large scale assessment of RC buildings,” Engineering Structures, Vol. 30, No. 3, pp. 804-820.
12. Bal, I.E., Crowley, H. and Pinho, R.  “ Displacement-based earthquake loss assessment for an earthquake scenario in Istanbul,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Volume 12, Issue S2, pp. 12-22.
13. Crowley, H., Bommer, J.J. and Stafford, P.  “Recent developments in the treatment of ground-motion variability in earthquake loss models,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Special Issue, Volume 12, Issue S2, pp. 71-80.
14. Strasser, F.O., Bommer, J.J., Sesetyan, K., Erdik, M., Cagnan, Z., Irizarry, J., Goula, X., Lucantoni, A., Sabetta, F., Bal, I.E., Crowley, H. and Lindholm, C.  “A comparative study of European Earthquake Loss Estimation Tools for an Earthquake Scenario in Istanbul,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Volume 12, Issue S2, pp. 246-256.
15. Bal, I.E., Crowley, H., Pinho, R. and Gulay, F.G.  “Detailed assessment of structural characteristics of Turkish RC building stock for loss assessment models,” Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 28, pp. 914–932.
16. Colombi, M., Borzi, B., Crowley, H., Onida, M., Meroni, F. and Pinho, R.  “Deriving vulnerability curves with Italian earthquake damage data,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 485-504.
17. Crowley, H., Borzi, B., Pinho, R., Colombi, M. and Onida, M.  “Comparison of two mechanics-based methods for simplified structural analysis in vulnerability assessment,” Advances in Civil Engineering, Volume 2008, Article ID 438379, 19 pages.
18. Crowley, H., Stafford, P.J. and Bommer, J.J.  “Can earthquake loss models be validated using field observations?” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 12, Issue 7, pp 1078-1104.
19. Borzi, B., Crowley, H. and Pinho, R.  “Simplified pushover-based earthquake loss assessment (SP-BELA) method for masonry buildings,” International Journal of Architectural Heritage, Vol. 2, No. 4, pp. 353-376.
20. Crowley, H., Colombi, M., Borzi, B., Faravelli, M., Onida, M., Lopez, M., Polli, D., Meroni, F., Pinho, R.  “Comparison of seismic risk maps for Italy,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, Volume 7, No. 1, pp. 149-180
21. Crowley, H., Stucchi, M., Meletti, C., Calvi, G.M. and Pacor, F.  “Revisiting italian design code spectra following the L’Aquila earthquake,” L’Aquila, April 6th 2009, 3:32 am, Progettazione Sismica, IUSS Press, Italy.
22. Crowley, H. and Pinho, R.  “Revisiting Eurocode 8 formulae for periods of vibration and their employment in linear seismic analysis,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 39, pp. 223-235
23. Bal, I.E., Bommer, J.J., Stafford, P.J., Crowley, H. and Pinho, R.  “The influence of geographical resolution of urban exposure data in an earthquake loss model for Istanbul,” Earthquake Spectra, Vol 26, no. 3, pp 619-634.
24. Ahmad, N., Crowley, H., Pinho, R. and Ali, Q.  “Displacement-based earthquake loss assessment of masonry buildings in Mansera City, Pakistan,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol 14, Special Issue 1, pp 1-37.
25. Stucchi, M., Meletti, C., Montaldo, V., Crowley, H., Calvi, G.M., Boschi, E.  “Seismic Hazard Assessment (2003-2009) for the Italian Building Code,” Bulletin of Seismological Society of America, vol. 101, No. 4, pp.1885-1911.
26. Tarque, N., Crowley, H., Varum, H. and Pinho, R.  “Displacement-based fragility curves for seismic assessment of adobe buildings,” Earthquake Spectra 28 (2), pp. 759-794
27. Silva, V., Crowley, H., Pagani, M., Monelli, D., Pinho, R.  “Development of the OpenQuake engine, the Global Earthquake Model’s open-source software for seismic risk assessment” Natural Hazards, DOI: 10.1007/s11069-013-0618-x.
28. Silva, V., Crowley, H., Pinho, R., Varum, H.  Extending Displacement-Based Earthquake Loss Assessment (DBELA) for the computation of fragility curves” Engineering Structures, 56, pp. 343-356.
29. Silva, V., Crowley, H., Varum, H., Pinho, R. and Sousa, R.  “Evaluation of analytical methodologies to derive vulnerability functions,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, 43, 2, pp. 181-204
30. Silva, V., Crowley, H., Pinho, R., Varum, H, Sousa L.  “Investigation of the characteristics of the Portuguese RC building stock and development of a vulnerability model,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, 10.1007/s10518-014-9669-y.
31. Silva, V., Crowley, H., Pinho, R., Varum, H.  “Seismic Risk Assessment for mainland Portugal,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, 10.1007/s10518-014-9630-0.
32. Ahmad, N., Ali, Q., Crowley, H., Pinho, R.  “Earthquake loss estimation of residential buildings in Pakistan,” Natural Hazards, DOI 10.1007/s11069-014-1174-8.
33. Pagani, M., Monelli, D., Weatherill, G., Danciu, L., Crowley, H., Silva, V., Henshaw, P., Butler, L., Nastasi, M., Panzeri, L., Simionato, M. and Vigano, D.,  “OpenQuake Engine: An open hazard (and risk) software for the Global Earthquake Model,” Seismological Research Letters, Vol. 85, No. 3, pp 692-702.
34. Weatherill, G., Silva, V., Crowley, H. & Bazzurro, P.  “Exploring the impact of spatial correlations and uncertainties for portfolio analysis in probabilistic seismic loss estimation,” Accepted for publication in Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering.
35. Casotto, C., Silva, V., Crowley, H., Nascimbene, R. and Pinho, R.  “Seismic Fragility of Italian RC Precast Industrial Structures”, Engineering Structures, under review.
36. Bommer, J.J., Crowley, H. and Pinho R.  “A risk-mitigation approach to the management of induced seismicity,” Journal of Engineering Seismology, in press.
37. Martins L., Silva V., Marques M., Crowley H. and Delgado R.  “Development and assessment of damage-to-loss models for moment-frame reinforced concrete buildings,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, under review.
38. Woessner J., Danciu L., Giardini D., Crowley H., Cotton F., Grunthal G., Valensise G., Arvidsson R., Basili R., Demircioglu M., Hiemar S., Meletti C., Musson R., Rovida A., Sesetyan K. and Stucchi M  “The 2013 European Seismic Hazard Model – Key Components and Results,” Bulletin of Earthquake Engineering, under review.
39. Silva, V., Crowley H. and Bazzurro P.  Exploring risk-targeted hazard maps for Europe,” Earthquake Spectra, under review.