André Filiatrault, Eng., Ph.D., is a professor in the Department of Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering at the State University of New York at Buffalo in Buffalo, NY, USA and a Professor at the Institute for Advanced Study of Pavia (IUSS), Italy. He received his master’s (1985) and Ph.D. (1988) degrees in civil engineering from the University of British Columbia after obtaining his bachelor’s degree in civil engineering from Université de Sherbrooke in 1983. After a two-year stint as an assistant professor at the University of British Columbia, he joined the Department of Civil Engineering at École Polytechnique, part of Université de Montréal, where he became a full professor in 1997. Professor Filiatrault joined the faculty at the University of California, San Diego in 1998, where he was a professor of structural engineering until 2003. From 2003 to 2007, he served as the Deputy Director of the Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research (MCEER). Professor Filiatrault also served as the Director of MCEER from 2008 to 2011. His research over the last 27 years has focused on the seismic testing, analysis and design of civil engineering structures and nonstructural building components. The professional achievements resulting from his research and teaching activities include four textbooks, more than 285 peer-reviewed scientific publications, the 1990 Sir Casimir Stanislaus Gzowski Medal from the Canadian Society for Civil Engineering, the 2002 Moisseiff Award from the American Society of Civil Engineers and the 2008 Outstanding Researcher/Scholar Award from the Research Foundation of the State University of New York.
- Nicknam, A. and Filiatrault, A. 2015. “Direct Displacement-Based Seismic Design of Propped Rocking Walls,” Earthquake Spectra, 31(1), 179-196.
- Welch, D.P., Sullivan, T.J., and Filiatrault, A. 2014. “Potential of Building Information Modelling for Seismic Risk Mitigation in Buildings,” Bulletin of The New Zealand Society for Earthquake Engineering, 47 (4), 11 p.
- Soroushian, S., Zaghi, A. E., Maragakis, E. M., Echevarria, A., Tian, Y., Filiatrault, A. 2014. “Seismic Fragility Study of Fire Sprinkler Piping Systems with Grooved Fit Joints,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 04014157-1, 04014157-15.
- Hamidia, M, Filiatrault, A. and Aref J. A. 2014. “Seismic Collapse Capacity Based Evaluation and Design of Frame Buildings with Viscous Dampers Using Pushover Analysis,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 04014153-1, 04014153-12.
- Tian, Y., Filiatrault, A. and Mosqueda, G. 2014. “Experimental Seismic Fragility of Pressurized Fire Suppression Sprinkler Piping Joints,” Earthquake Spectra, 30(4), 1733-1748.
- Sideris, P., Aref, A. and Filiatrault, A. 2014. “Quasi-static Cyclic Testing of a Large-Scale Segmental Column with Controlled Joint Sliding,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, 19(10), 04014036-1 to 04014036-11.
- Apostolakis, G., Dargush, G. and Filiatrault, A. 2014. “Computational Framework for Automated Seismic Design of Self-Centering Connections in Steel Frames,” ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 28(2), 170-181.
- Filiatrault, A. and Sullivan, T. 2014. “Performance-based Seismic Design of Nonstructural Building Components: The Next Frontier of Earthquake Engineering,” Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, Special Issue on the State-of-the-art and Future Challenges of Earthquake Engineering, 13(1) Supplement, 17-46.
- Sideris, P., Aref, A. and Filiatrault, A. 2014. ”Large-scale Seismic Testing of Hybrid Sliding-Rocking Post-tensioned Segmental Bridge System,” ASCE Journal of Structural Engineering, 140 (6), 04014025-1 to 04014025-15.
- Zhong, Z., Bouziou, D., Wham, B., Filiatrault, A., Aref, A., O’Rourke, T.D. and Stewart, H.E. 2014. “Seismic Testing of Critical Lifelines Rehabilitated with Cured in Place Pipeline Lining Technology,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, 18(6), 964-985.
- Sideris, P., Aref, A. and Filiatrault, A. 2014. “Effects of Anchorage Hardware on the Cyclic Tensile Response of Unbonded Monostrands,” PCI Journal Summer 2014, Precast/Prestressed Concrete Institute. 60-77.
- Farhidzadeh, A., Dehghan-Niri, E., Zhong, Z., Salamone, S., Aref, A. and Filiatrault, A. 2014. “Post-Earthquake Evaluation of Pipelines Rehabilitated with Cured in Place Lining Technology using Acoustic Emission,” Construction and Building Materials 54C, 326-338.
- Hamidia, M, Filiatrault, A. and Aref J. A. 2014. “Simplified Seismic Sidesway Collapse Analysis of Buildings,” Earthquake Engineering & Structural Dynamics, 43: 429-448.