• Research Engineer at the European Centre for Training and Research in Earthquake Engineering, Eucentre (Pavia, Italy) within the Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering research area. Since 2009.
PROFESSIONAL TITLES AND APPOINTMENTS:
• Regular member of Geotechnical Extreme Events Reconnaissance (GEER) Association. Since 2016.
• Contact person for Eucentre of the European research LIQUEFACT project (2016-2019) on the assessment and mitigation of liquefaction potential across Europe.
• Winner of public competition for the position of Technologist at the Eucentre Foundation, 2013.
• Member of the inter-institutional working group appointed by the Head of the Italian Department of Civil Protection for setting-up post-earthquake questionnaires for assessment of the geological and geotechnical aspects and of the associated filling out instructions, 2012-2013.
• Winner of public competition for the positions of engineers at Regional environmental protection agency – ARPA Lombardia, 2010.
• Registered to board of Professional Engineers of Cremona, 2010.
• Master Degree, Environmental and Territorial Engineering “Soil Protection and Prevention of Natural Risks”, Politecnico di Milano, 2008.
• Bachelor Degree, Environmental and Territorial Engineering, Politecnico di Milano, 2006.
FORMER EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS:
• July 2013 – October 2013. Scientific consultant for ENEL Green Power
• November 2011 – March 2012. Scientific consultant for OUTech – Opole University of Technology (Opole)
• January 2009 – March 2009. Engineer at Water Engineering (Milano).
• September 2008 – February 2009. Technical consultant at DA Consulting (Cremona).
• October 2006 – February 2009. Tutor for students at Politecnico di Milano (Milano).
Topics typical of both the engineering seismology and the seismic geotechnique:
– Development of GIS (Geographic Information System) platforms for areas and structures of relevant geotechnical interest (e.g. seaports, earth dams, airports).
– Evaluation of site effects due to geological, geomorphologic and local geotechnical conditions: local litho-stratigraphic amplification taking into account the spatial variability of soil properties by stochastic analyses.
– Estimation of collateral effects induced by the seismic ground shaking: co-seismic and post-seismic instability of natural scopes, liquefaction, soil settlement and lateral displacements.
– Seismic-geotechnical characterization of sites and soil model development.
– Reconnaissance survey and analysis of induced geotechnical effects in the immediate aftermath of an earthquake.
– Seismic hazard assessment at a specific site or for an extended area (seismic macrozonation) by probabilistic and deterministic methods.
– Definition of damage maps by fragility curves for areas of relevant geotechnical interest, as seaport areas.
She is author/co-author of more than 30 scientific publications. A selection of publications is reported below:
1. Zuccolo, E., Bozzoni, F., Lai, C.G., “Regional low-lagnitude GMPE to estimate spectral accelerations for Earthquake Early Warning applications in Southern Italy”. Seismological Research Letters, Vol. 88, No. 1, pp. 2351-2373. January/February 2017.
2. Lai, C.G., Bozzoni, F., Mangriotis, M.D., Martinelli, M, “Soil liquefaction during the May 20, 2012 M5.9 Emilia earthquake, Northern Italy: field reconnaissance and post-event assessment”. Earthquake Spectra, Vol. 31, No. 4, pp. 2351-2373. November 2015.
3. Zembaty, Z., Kokot, S., Bozzoni, F., Scandella, L., Lai, C.G., Kuś, J., Bobra, P., “A system to mitigate deep mine tremor effects in the design of civil infrastructure”. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences, Vol. 1, No. 74, pp. 81-90. January 2015.
4. Bozzoni, F., Chiarolla, S., Lai, C.G., “Seismic response assessment of embankment dams in Campania Region (southern Italy) by means of simplified approaches”. Progettazione Sismica. Vol. 6, No. 1, Gennaio-Aprile 2015, pp. 49-67.
5. Bozzoni, F., Famà, A., Lai, C.G., Mirfattah, S.A., “Seismic risk assessment of seaports using GIS: the port of Gioia Tauro in Southern Italy”. Proceedings 33rd PIANC World Congress, San Francisco, USA, June 1-5, 2014.
6. Tarque, N., Lai, C.G., Bozzoni, F., Miccadei, E., Piacentini, T., Camata, G., Spacone, E., “Expected ground motion at the historical site of Poggio Picenze, Central Italy, with reference to current Italian Building Code”. Engineering Geology Journal, Vol. 166, No. 8, pp. 100-115. November 2013.
7. Andreotti, G., Lai, C.G., Bozzoni, F., Scandella, L. (2013). “Hazard-dependent soil amplification factors derived from 1D fully stochastic ground response analyses.” Proceedings ICEGE 2013, International Conference Earthquake Geotechnical Engineering. Istanbul, Turkey, June 17-19, 2013.
8. Bozzoni, F., Lai, C.G., Mangriotis, M.D., Margiotta, S., “Definition of Seismic Input at the archeological site of Marte Ultore Temple in Rome (Italy)”, Proceedings International Conference on Rehabilitation and Restoration of Structures, Chennai, India, February 13-16, 2013.
9. Bozzoni, F., Lai, C.G., Scandella, L., “2012 Emilia Earthquakes: Preliminary Results of Ground-Motion Characteristics”. Annals of Geophysics, Vol. 55, No. 4, pp. 609-614. August 2012. DOI: 10.4401/ag-6121.
10. Bozzoni, F., Corigliano, M., Lai, C.G., Salazar, W., Scandella, L., Zuccolo, E., Latchman, J., Lynch. L., Robertson, R., “Probabilistic Seismic Hazard Assessment at the Eastern Caribbean Islands”. Bulletin of Seismological Society of America, Vol.101, No.5, pp. 2499-2521. October 2011.
• Speaker in national and international conferences.
• Co-advisor of 8 completed bachelor and master theses.
• Member of the GEER (Geotechnical Extreme Events Reconnaissance association) team during the reconnaissance following the seismic sequence in Central Italy in 2016.
• Member of the AFPS (Association Française du Génie Parasismique) team during the surveys at the dams located in the area affected by the seismic sequence in Central Italy in 2016.
• Leader in situ of the Eucentre team for the reconnaissance of liquefaction phenomena following the seismic events of 2012 in Emilia region (Italy).