MSc degree in Mechanical Engineering from Università di Pisa in 1981.
PhD in Bioengineering from Politecnico di Milano in 1986.
He is presently Full Professor at Politecnico di Milano, Dept. of Chemistry, Materials and Chemical Engineering “Giulio Natta” and Full Professor in mobility at Università degli Studi di Brescia, Dept. of Information Engineering.
He carried out all his academic career in Politecnico di Milano first as Assistant Professor, then as Associate Professor and, since 2001, as Full Professor of Industrial Bioengineering. Currently, he teaches “Endoprothesis Design” and “Patent and Intellectual Property”.
He devoted his research activities to experimental and computational biomechanics in the cardiovascular, orthopaedic and tissue engineering, especially concerning prostheses, biomechanical models for artificialnatural functional interfaces and numerical simulation of biological structures. He is co-author of about 200 publications, about 70 in peer reviewed journals.
In 2000 he founded the Laboratory of Biological Structures Mechanics of Politecnico di Milano
In 2001 he established the Politecnico di Milano patent service and the Technology Transfer Office of Politecnico di Milano. In 2002 he was among the founders of the Italian Network for Technology Transfer.
ROLES AND RESPONSABILITIES
1. in managing scientific bodies
• Member of the Executive Council of IMT Istituto di Alti Studi, Lucca (2003-2005)
• Rector’s Delegate for technology transfer at Politecnico di Milano (2002-2005)
• Vice Rector for Lecco Campus of Politecnico di Milano (2005-2010)
• Member of the Evaluation Board of Area Science Park, Trieste (2006-2007)
• Member of the Strategic Committee of the General Direction of Scientific Research of the Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) (2009)
• MIUR delegate in the Technical Scientific Committee of INAIL (2009-…)
• Member of the General Scientific Council of Nationa Reserach Council, CNR (2009-2010, 2012-…)
• Director of Department ICT of CNR (National Research Council) (2011-2012)
• Director of Production Systems Department of CNR (2011-2012)
• Member of the Scientific Committee of the Consorzio di Bioingegneria e Informatica Medica, Pavia (2011-…)
• President of the National Group of Bioengineering (2011-…)
• Member of the Evaluation Board of Università degli Studi di Brescia (2012-2013)
• Member of the Scientific Committee of the Consorzium CETMA, Brindisi (2012-…)
• President of the Technical and Scientific Committee of Area Science Park, Trieste (2013-…)
• Director of Thematic Section “Health and Nutrition” of the National Interuniversity Consortium of Materials Science and Technology (INSTM) (2013-…)
• Member of the Evaluation Board of Università degli Studi di Milano Bicocca (2013-…)
• Associated Researcher of Institute of Molecular Bioimaging and Physiology (IBFM) of CNR (2013-…)
2. in technology transfer activities
• President of Netval (2007-2013)
• Member of Executive Committee of Les Italia (2007-2010)
• Member of the Executive Committee of Italian Group of AIPPI (2011-2013)
• Member of the Scientific Board of TT Venture (2011-…)
• Member of the Steering Committee of CSMT, Brescia (2011-2013)
• Scientific Director of CSMT, Brescia (2013-…)
3. other information
• Scientific Advisor of The European House-Ambrosetti on innovation (2010-…)
• Member of the Board of Directors of: Italcert Srl (2004-2012), Quantica Sgr (2008-2009), Genport
• Srl (2009-…), Consorzio Milano Ricerche (2011-…)
• Winner of the Bridge Award 2009, awarded to an individual who has done the most to promote
• Policies for entrepreneurship in university or public research institutions.