The project’s main objective is that of increasing the knowledge on the seismic response of unreinforced masonry (URM) and precast buildings typically found in the province of Groningen, in the north of the Netherlands, which in recent years has been hit by earthquakes of relatively low magnitude (M2 to M4) related to gas extraction activities.
To this end, the following combined set of experimental and numerical activities has been planned:
- Validation against experimental benchmarks, as well as through comparison with numerical models developed by other research groups, of macro-element models of URM buildings typical of the Groningen region.
- Development of detailed finite element models of precast panels, and its connections, typical of precast construction in the Groningen region.
- Experimental in situ-testing of URM buildings in the Groningen region.
- Cyclic and dynamic laboratory testing of URM and precast components and sub-assemblages.
- Cyclic and shake-table testing of full-scale masonry and RC precast houses.
The project started on May 2014 and is currently envisaged to be completed by the end of 2018. A number of deliverables have been produced, in the form of numerical models, research reports and experimental tests, some of which can be accessed below:
- Videos of URM terraced house shake-table testing (EUC-BUILD1)
- Videos of URM detached house shake-table testing (EUC-BUILD2)
- Videos of URM walls out-of-plane dynamic testing
- Videos of cyclic testing of URM wall and precast panel
- Videos of cast-in-place tunnel building under pseudo-static cyclic testing (EUC-BUILD3)
- Videos of precast RC wall-slab-wall structure shake-table testing (EUC-BUILD5)
- Report on precast panels testing
- Report on in-situ URM material testing
- Report on URM terraced house shake-table testing (EUC-BUILD1)
- Report on URM detached house shake-table testing (EUC-BUILD2)
- Report on cyclic testing of cast-in-place “tunnel building” (EUC-BUILD3)
- Report on cyclic testing of precast “tunnel building” EUC-BUILD4)
- Report on shake-table testing of precast “tunnel building” (EUC-BUILD5)
- Report on URM terraced house collapse shake-table testing (LNEC-BUILD1)
- Report on collapse shake-table testing of a URM roof substructure (LNEC-BUILD2)
- Paper on URM walls out-of-plane dynamic testing
- Paper on URM walls cyclic testing
- Paper on precast panels testing
- Paper on URM terraced house shake-table testing (EUC-BUILD1)
- Paper on dataset from URM detached house shake-table testing (EUC-BUILD2)
- Paper on URM detached house shake-table testing (EUC-BUILD2)
- Paper on a comprehensive in situ and laboratory testing programme supporting seismic risk analysis of URM buildings – [27/09/2018]
If you are interested in gaining access to the aforementioned experimental data, please fill-in the following form: